The County of Simcoe is changing curbside waste collections to bring consistency and predictability back to pick-up schedules and support the growth of the County’s green bin program.
Starting February 3, 2020, garbage and recycling collection will occur on alternating weeks, while green bin collection will continue every week. During the week of February 3 to 7, residents will receive garbage and green bin collection only. The following week (February 10 to 14), residents will receive recycling and green bin collection only. Collections will alternate on this schedule moving forward.
What this means starting February 3, 2020:
• No change to your regular collection day. Collection times will change, so have your materials out by 7 a.m. on your collection day
• Green bin collection will continue to occur every week
• Garbage and recycling collection will alternate every other week (one week garbage the next week recycling)
• Residents can set out two bags/containers of garbage every other week (weight and size restrictions still apply)
• Recycling no longer needs to be separated into different bins. Materials will be sorted later in the process
• Excess recyclables can be placed in bins, cardboard boxes or see-through plastic bags
The County is hopeful this change will address the labour challenges experienced by its waste collection contractor throughout 2019 by reducing the number of collection vehicles required each day. This change will also support the environment and encourage residents to positively adjust their waste habits.
The County recognizes that this is a significant change for residents. For more information on how the County is helping households manage this transition, visit www.simcoe.ca/collectionschange or call 1-800-263-3199.For further information, please read the FAQs sheetPosted 2019-12-11 2:37pm
from the County.